welcome to fgta
From Grief to Action is here for you if your son or daughter has, or might have, an addictive disorder. Lift your spirits with practical information and sympathetic suggestions right here, right now. As a voice for families, we applaud our health-care system's recognition that addiction is a health issue--one that often develops in young people with an undiagnosed mood disorder or other mental illness. Where critical service gaps remain, however, we are uniquely qualified to point them out (see our "Public Policy Directions 2012.")
Are you in crisis now?
- Downloading our Coping Kit (see the button at left) enables you to learn from parents who have rebounded from being literally "at wits' end."
- Parents Forever is the Greater Vancouver support group especially for you. Here's more.
- Treatment for your child may be quickly available. The Crossing is publicly funded for many BC residents and may have space in its effective long-term residential program.
- The Ministry of Health maintains a page guiding you to sources of help at its portal on mental health and addictions.
Not in crisis but needing reliable information?
- Learn about B.C. support groups, listed here by REGION and regularly updated.
- Choose drug and self-help documents and links, by CATEGORY. There's also a fact sheet library at the Here to Help portal.
FGTA is a proud member of the Community Action Alliance on Mental Health and Substance Use. Follow our News items to learn about recent grants and other capacity-building activities.
Ready to give two minutes' help?
Families and Friends for Drug Law Reform has posted its Global Families' Declaration for you to sign. Please join us in endorsing the declaration.
- Meaning Therapy: A New Paradigm of Integrating Healing with Personal Growth April 25
- Family Involvement in Mental Health and Addiction -- Vancouver conference April 26
- Important Conference Coming to Vancouver in May 2014 May 2 - May 3
- Concurrent disorders in the picture? Strengthening Families Together welcomes you May 5 - June 30
- More Events
- Apply now for a $700 Janice Lee Blue Wave Bursary April 11, 2014
- Families Gain New Hope from U.S. Recognition of Addiction As a Medical Issue April 10, 2014
- Inner-City Youth project receives doubled funding from province April 7, 2014
- Federal exemption received by InSite for another year April 5, 2014
- Chronically Addicted But Denied the Disability Pension? A New Guide May Help April 2, 2014
- Recreational drug users who switch from ecstasy to mephedrone don't understand the dangers March 26, 2014
- Doors open at St. Paul's Hospital mental health emergency unit March 20, 2014
- How "One-Stop" Care Lifts New Moms from Addiction March 14, 2014
- What will Canada contribute to a new global drug policy? March 7, 2014
- Mellowness of Amsterdam pot cafe culture absent in border towns; 2012 laws not helping March 7, 2014
- CMA calls for action after highly inclusive meeting on prescription drug overuse February 18, 2014
- B.C. teens smoking and drinking less, but mental health issues climb: survey February 12, 2014
- U.K. Guardian writer condemns lawmakers for "unnecessary death" of Hoffman February 6, 2014
- Four addiction experts on why recovery and abstinence is a lifelong commitment February 6, 2014
- Philip Seymour Hoffman's death 'epitomizes' tragedy of drug addiction: doctor February 5, 2014
- The US war on drugs and its legacy in Latin America February 3, 2014
- Drug trafficking is speeding deforestation in Central America January 31, 2014
- How Colleges Are Preparing Students for a Country Where Pot Is Legal January 24, 2014
- Study reveals how ecstasy acts on the brain and hints at therapeutic uses January 20, 2014
- Extra funding for mental health nurses to be based at police stations and courts across Britain January 12, 2014
- New "think piece" about Canada's epidemic of opioid abuse January 9, 2014
- Canadian experts publish Top Ten Drug Policy Moments of 2013 December 28, 2013
- B.C. patients still waiting for controversial prescription heroin December 19, 2013
- Abbotsford council opening doors to programs such as needle exchange December 14, 2013
- Amsterdam’s bid to help homeless alcoholics: A beer-for-work program December 11, 2013
- Bereaved mother urges federal government to crack down on opioid regulation December 6, 2013
- Precedent-setting Family Caregiver Leave benefits being considered in Ontario November 26, 2013
- "Cold turkey" morphine withdrawal may trigger mental decline November 23, 2013
- Few high-quality guidelines exist for prescribing opioids to pain patient November 23, 2013
- Province announces mental-health action plan for "patients with complex needs" November 21, 2013
- Teens confused about effects of marijuana, study finds November 5, 2013
- Canadian doctors lack specialized addiction treatment training, study says November 5, 2013
- Ketamine abuse linked to permanent bladder damage and loss October 10, 2013
- Maclean's interviews B.C.'s senior health officer on the evidence that prescribing heroin for harm reduction is good for society October 3, 2013
- Website shows young people risks of mixing medicines and drugs September 20, 2013
- Marijuana use by teens linked to permanent brain abnormalities later in life, increased schizophrenia risk: study July 25, 2013
- More support needed for caregivers, Mental Health Commission says in new report July 3, 2013
- Harm reduction expert explains position on decriminalizing drugs June 24, 2013
- Value of longer treatment term recognized after PEI program fails June 12, 2013
- What Is Synthetic Marijuana and Why Is It More Dangerous Than the Real Thing? April 23, 2013
- Comox drug strategy's ingenious scholarship concept March 28, 2013
- Meth Recovery May Need "Chronic Disease" Treatment February 15, 2013
- Large Study Shows Substance Abuse Rates Higher in Teenagers With ADHD February 13, 2013
- Thwarted by a Methadone Program scam? January 29, 2013
- Northern B.C. youth may consult with psychiatrists by teleconference December 28, 2012
- First Nations leader calls methadone "a bad drug." November 15, 2012
- Economic scope of addictions given hard figures October 11, 2012
- Province newspaper opens window on St. Paul's Hospital drug psychosis burden June 25, 2012
- What became of B.C.'s ayahuasca experiment? May 10, 2012
- More News