welcome to fgta
From Grief to Action is here for you if your son or daughter has, or might have, an addictive disorder. Lift your spirits with practical information and sympathetic suggestions right here, right now. As a voice for families, we applaud our health-care system's recognition that addiction is a health issue--one that often develops in young people with an undiagnosed mood disorder or other mental illness. Where critical service gaps remain, however, we are uniquely qualified to point them out (see our "Public Policy Directions 2012.")
Are you in crisis now?
- Downloading our Coping Kit (see the button at left) enables you to learn from parents who have rebounded from being literally "at wits' end."
- Parents Forever is the Greater Vancouver support group especially for you. Here's more.
- Treatment for your child may be quickly available. The Crossing is publicly funded for many BC residents and may have space in its effective long-term residential program.
- The Ministry of Health maintains a page guiding you to sources of help at its portal on mental health and addictions.
Not in crisis but needing reliable information?
- Learn about B.C. support groups, listed here by REGION and regularly updated.
- Choose drug and self-help documents and links, by CATEGORY. There's also a fact sheet library at the Here to Help portal.
FGTA is a proud member of the Community Action Alliance on Mental Health and Substance Use. Follow our News items to learn about recent grants and other capacity-building activities.
Ready to give two minutes' help?
Families and Friends for Drug Law Reform has posted its Global Families' Declaration for you to sign. Please join us in endorsing the declaration.
- Concurrent disorders in the picture? Strengthening Families Together welcomes you May 5 - June 30
- Addiction Services Education Series in Kerrisdale May 23 - August 8
- Traditional Drum Group Continues at Hey-way'-noqu' June 2 - June 23
- Mental Health Education for Families September 8 - November 10
- More Events
- Addict credits drug ibogaine with saving his life July 18, 2014
- Schizophrenia and cannabis -- debunking "correlation = causation" July 5, 2014
- The Sanctuary Promises to Bridge a Treatment Gap for Metro Vancouver Women June 26, 2014
- Canada's addictions clearinghouse tackles the "concurrent disorders" behemoth June 23, 2014
- First major review discloses sharp increase in deaths from painkillers in US and Canada June 17, 2014
- New approach unveiled to help tackle mental health issues in teens June 16, 2014
- "Cool Kids" not destined to stay that way June 14, 2014
- Having authoritarian parents increases the risk of drug use in adolescents June 12, 2014
- New Metro heroin epidemic? The Vancouver Sun reports in 3 stories, with video June 4, 2014
- B.C. Supreme Court agrees heroin may be prescribed here May 30, 2014
- Link to problem gambling made by homelessness study May 29, 2014
- Saskatoon mom takes drug rehab petition to Legislature May 14, 2014
- B.C. loses a dedicated spokesperson for people impoverished by addiction May 10, 2014
- Acclaimed new novel connects dots between mental illness and addiction May 8, 2014
- Success of Insite hailed on international Harm Reduction Day May 7, 2014
- Families Gain New Hope from U.S. Recognition of Addiction As a Medical Issue April 10, 2014
- Inner-City Youth project receives doubled funding from province April 7, 2014
- Federal exemption received by InSite for another year April 5, 2014
- Chronically Addicted But Denied the Disability Pension? A New Guide May Help April 2, 2014
- Recreational drug users who switch from ecstasy to mephedrone don't understand the dangers March 26, 2014
- Doors open at St. Paul's Hospital mental health emergency unit March 20, 2014
- How "One-Stop" Care Lifts New Moms from Addiction March 14, 2014
- Mellowness of Amsterdam pot cafe culture absent in border towns; 2012 laws not helping March 7, 2014
- Study reveals how ecstasy acts on the brain and hints at therapeutic uses January 20, 2014
- Abbotsford council opening doors to programs such as needle exchange December 14, 2013
- More News