welcome to fgta
From Grief to Action is here for you if your son or daughter has, or might have, an addictive disorder. Lift your spirits with practical information and sympathetic suggestions right here, right now. As a voice for families, we applaud our health-care system's recognition that addiction is a health issue--one that often develops in young people with an undiagnosed mood disorder or other mental illness. Where critical service gaps remain, however, we are uniquely qualified to point them out (see our "Public Policy Directions 2012.")
Are you in crisis now?
- Downloading our Coping Kit (see the button at left) enables you to learn from parents who have rebounded from being literally "at wits' end."
- Parents Forever is the Greater Vancouver support group especially for you. Here's more.
- Treatment for your child may be quickly available. The Crossing is publicly funded for many BC residents and may have space in its effective long-term residential program.
- The Ministry of Health maintains a page guiding you to sources of help at its portal on mental health and addictions.
Not in crisis but needing reliable information?
- Learn about B.C. support groups, listed here by REGION and regularly updated.
- Choose drug and self-help documents and links, by CATEGORY. There's also a fact sheet library at the Here to Help portal.
FGTA is a proud member of the Community Action Alliance on Mental Health and Substance Use. Follow our News items to learn about recent grants and other capacity-building activities.
Ready to give two minutes' help?
Families and Friends for Drug Law Reform has posted its Global Families' Declaration for you to sign. Please join us in endorsing the declaration.
- First Nations Youth Drop-In at Hey-way'-noqu' December 11
- Concurrent disorders in the picture? BCSS Vancouver Family Support Group welcomes you December 11
- “Managed Alcohol Programs: What role do they play in harm reduction for the unstably housed?” December 12
- Education Series Starts at St. Mary's Kerrisdale January 14
- More Events
- Bereaved mother urges federal government to crack down on opioid regulation December 6, 2013
- Community Action Initiative Announces Its Cycle 5 Granting Opportunity November 29, 2013
- Precedent-setting Family Caregiver Leave benefits being considered in Ontario November 26, 2013
- FGTA to host Public Education series in new venue November 25, 2013
- "Cold turkey" morphine withdrawal may trigger mental decline November 23, 2013
- Few high-quality guidelines exist for prescribing opioids to pain patient November 23, 2013
- Province announces action plan for "patients with complex needs" November 21, 2013
- High-school courses to be offered at Ontario "recovery centres" for teens November 19, 2013
- Animal therapy trial gives a twist to the notion of "horse-crazy girls" November 6, 2013
- Canadian doctors lack specialized addiction treatment training, study says November 5, 2013
- Teens confused about effects of marijuana, study finds November 5, 2013
- Canadian Experts Praise Online Addiction and Mental Health Program November 2, 2013
- Ketamine abuse linked to permanent bladder damage and loss October 10, 2013
- Maclean's interviews B.C.'s senior health officer on the evidence that prescribing heroin for harm reduction is good for society October 3, 2013
- "Coaches should be on the lookout for mental health problems among student-athletes." - panel September 29, 2013
- Federal decision to allow prescription heroin will save lives: Pivot lawyer September 21, 2013
- Website shows young people risks of mixing medicines and drugs September 20, 2013
- Substance Abuse Prevention Tackles Impulsiveness in Kindergarten Boys August 9, 2013
- Marijuana use by teens linked to permanent brain abnormalities later in life, increased schizophrenia risk: study July 25, 2013
- More support needed for caregivers, Mental Health Commission says in new report July 3, 2013
- Harm reduction expert explains position on decriminalizing drugs June 24, 2013
- Australia bans synthetic drugs June 17, 2013
- Value of longer treatment term recognized after PEI program fails June 12, 2013
- Quitting Meth Addiction Less Successful In Teen Girls Than Boys May 16, 2013
- What Is Synthetic Marijuana and Why Is It More Dangerous Than the Real Thing? April 23, 2013
- Comox drug strategy's ingenious scholarship concept March 28, 2013
- Canada addresses prescription drug abuse with ten-year strategy March 22, 2013
- Meth Recovery May Need "Chronic Disease" Treatment February 15, 2013
- Large Study Shows Substance Abuse Rates Higher in Teenagers With ADHD February 13, 2013
- Thwarted by a Methadone Program scam? January 29, 2013
- Northern B.C. youth may consult with psychiatrists by teleconference December 28, 2012
- First Nations leader calls methadone "a bad drug." November 15, 2012
- Economic scope of addictions given hard figures October 11, 2012
- Province newspaper opens window on St. Paul's Hospital drug psychosis burden June 25, 2012
- 16-year-olds at greatest risk for misusing prescription drugs May 11, 2012
- What became of B.C.'s ayahuasca experiment? May 10, 2012
- Cause or effect of depression in teens? Meth and Ecstasy study suggests "cause." May 8, 2012
- More News